Friday, February 12, 2010

New Lens, New Love

At every wedding, we take photos of the rings.  As soon as our Bride and Groom are seated and enjoying their meal, we quietly borrow their rings and the Bride's beautiful bouquet.  Next, we find a spot with decent lighting or a good setting, away from the wedding guests, and get set up to shoot. 

We always start out with the rings in the flowers - but I try to do something different and creative every time, too.  I've used black pianos to get gorgeous reflections.  I've tried the wedding favors.  Christmas ornaments.  Pillows.  Martini and Champagne glasses (one still had Champagne in it!  I did ask the Bride and Groom first, too).  Hmmm....what else?  Oh, part of a lamp!  (It was a cool lamp!)  And ribbons.  You never know until you try, right?

My favorite lens to use when I photograph rings is my Canon 100mm Macro lens.  It's a fabulous lens - and I love being able to fill the image with the rings and flowers.  You can capture amazing detail - sometimes too much!  (Note - I've learned to bring a cloth napkin and polish up the rings before photos and look for little pieces of lint.)

Recently, Canon upgraded this great lens - so, we upgraded, too.  That's one thing about me - I want the best and have invested heavily in my equipment.  My husband/second shooter, Andy, is in total agreement. 

In 2010, we have plans to pick up another top-of-the-line lens or two (can we say FISHEYE?) and really expand our lighting options.  It just means better and better photos!

But I digress.  All I can say is - this lens ROCKS!  I can't wait to use it for all of our upcoming weddings.  Gorgeous photos, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment