Sunday, August 2, 2009

What I Learned From a Week at the OBX, Part II

5. Speaking of the Hobie Cat – they are SO much fun. We spent the entire time being wet, but the water is warm and not nearly as salty as the Atlantic Ocean. I really don’t like getting saltwater in my mouth – waaaaay too salty for me. But since the Atlantic can’t “feed” the Currituck anymore, it’s become less salty.


6. Wild mustangs are cool – no matter how many times you see them! We were lucky enough to see the horses every day, except the morning we left. It was pretty early when we packed up and said goodbye to II If By Sea. No horses to see us off. We were lucky enough to see a dolphin or two cruising for an early breakfast. And there were these crazy, little tree frogs stuck to the house. But no horses. I was excited every time I saw them and regretted when I didn’t have my camera. It was amazing the one time they grazed in our yard, just a few feet from us.


7. Dolphins are also cool – no matter how many times you see them! Andy got the closest for sure. He was out on the boogie board and thought he’d swim out a little father than usual. I was watching and noticed the school of fish jumping out of the water on the next wave. And then the familiar fins! Andy was right in the middle of their lunch. He said it freaked him out, all the fish under and around him. And he’s pretty sure he kicked a dolphin in his haste to escape! We just observed them from the water, as close as we could get. They did get very close to shore a few times – and it was magical being so near a wild dolphin.


8. The water in the Carova area was nasty – at our house, at least. Andy said it was well water and had sulphur in it. It smelled SO BAD. If we didn’t leave the lid down on the toilet, then the bathroom smelled. I wrongfully accused Andy of stinking it up several times! It nearly made me gag when I brushed my teeth, and we certainly never drank it. I was NOT prepared for the stinky water at all!


9. Good shells (like good men) are hard to find. I am used to this – having always vacationed on the Atlantic (growing up in GA and NC). We found plenty of broken shells and “junk” shells like mollusks – but nothing really worth keeping. I guess that’s what souvenir shops are for!

No comments:

Post a Comment